I am committed to protecting the privacy of clients, suppliers, contractors, co-workers and other business partners and contacts in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation 2016 and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003.
Who I Am
I am a script and fiction writer, and I also work more generally in the fields of arts, media and data analysis. I generally work in and with organisations and other professionals, and have no direct business relationship with consumers.
My Privacy and Data Principles
What Information I Collect
Contact and Business Information
- To provide clear, honest and open information about how I use any personal data in my business.
- To use personal data appropriately and in a way that would be reasonably expected by my clients, partners and fellow professionals, and their customers.
- To only process personal data where it is absolutely necessary and when my clients, partners or fellow professionals have specifically provided it; or where I need to do so in order to fulfil a contract with a client, or make or maintain contact with potential future clients, partners or fellow professionals.
- To be accountable and responsible; to take active steps to protect personal data from harm; and to ensure that data is deleted once the reason for processing it has passed.
- To ensure my clients, partners and fellow professionals understand these principles and their responsibilities in delivering them.
I hold contact details of my clients, partners and fellow professionals on my systems in order to operate my business effectively. This includes contact details for clients' staff involved in our projects, and finance teams for invoicing.
Email, Web Activity and Social Media
I keep a record of the emails I send and receive from clients, partners and fellow professionals in order to track progress of a project, keep a record of the work I have undertaken with them, discuss potential projects, or generally keep in touch for networking and professional reasons.
Unlike most websites, I avoid collecting or storing details of any kind about visitors to the ianbriggs.com website. However, links from ianbriggs.com to third-party websites (e.g. YouTube.com) may enable those other websites to collect data for themselves, and you should check their own privacy policies.
I sometimes use social media to broadcast messages and updates about my work, and to signpost interesting content to clients, partners and fellow professionals. I never buy paid advertising on social media.
From Third Parties
Occasionally I am asked to process personal data relating to donors, visitors or customers as part of my work with a client. My principles in doing this are:
- I only ever do so at the request of, or with the explicit permission of the client.
- Where possible, I aim to interrogate the data on the client's own systems, supervised by the client or a member of their staff.
- If data needs to be passed across to me for independent processing, I take care to ensure that the data is anonymised when reasonable, adequately protected with passwords etc., and deleted at the earliest opportunity after the need for processing has ceased.
I treat any data about children, disability or medical need, religion, political
affiliation, sexuality or ethnicity sensitive. I rarely process any data of this kind, but when I do, I take steps to ensure that any such information is only collected where necessary or relevant, is subject to enhanced security measures, used only for the purposes agreed, and erased when no longer necessary or relevant.
What I Do With Your Data
The personal data I hold is used to perform contracts of work I have with clients, and to maintain contact with clients, partners and fellow professionals for potential future projects and professional development. This includes project updates and reports, billing and payment enquiries, and sharing information we believe to be of use or interest.
Sharing Your Data With Third Parties
I will not share any personal data with any other third parties unless given permission or required to by law.
How I Keep Your Data Safe
Data transferred from or about clients, partners and fellow professionals will be held and processed on my systems. I maintain secure systems to hold contact details and a record of your interactions with me.
All information received by me is retrieved using secure technology. In order to provide a safe and secure environment for your personal information I use up to date technology with a view to protecting that information against loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration.
Data is held by me for as long as is legally or practically necessary for my business. Once that necessity is past I have a regular programme of data suppression and deletion.
You have the following rights related to your personal data:
- The right to withdraw consent at any time
- The right to request a copy of personal information held about you
- The right to request that inaccuracies be corrected
- The right to request me to stop processing your personal data
- The right to lodge a complaint with supervisory bodies such as the Information Commissioner's Office or Fundraising Regulator
- The right to erasure of personal data
- The right to restriction of processing
- The right to data portability
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact me using my contact details above. If you are unhappy with how I are processing your personal data, you have the right to complain to the ICO. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:
Please contact me using my contact details above ("Contact Me") if you have any questions about how your data is used, data retention periods, or wish to be removed from any communications or data processing activities.